Sunday, July 29, 2012

Day 1 of Olympic dinners USA-


The Olympics are here and my family and I are so excited about it. I find it so amazing how Countries at war with each other can still come together in peace and complete athletically against each other. In honor of the Olympics I thought it would be a fun time to learn and teach about the other Countries and cultures to my children. During the next few weeks of the Olympics I will be making tradition meals from various Countries . I plan to post pictures and recipes during this fun time.

Day 1- We kicked off with a traditional meal from the USA!!! The greatest Country in my opinion. What is more American than Hamburgers and French fries???!!! I have had a bad cold and did not feel up to cooking. I was seriously thinking about giving my kids a "true" American meal from McDonalds. My kids are so deprived, they all had their first Happy Meal this year while road tripping to AZ for my Great Grandmas 90th Birthday party. Back to the point..... I decided to make the burgers and just buy frozen fries since I was not feeling well.  During dinner I taught the kids these fun little facts:

Capital:
Washington, D.C.
Independence Day:
July 4, 1776
Motto:
In God We Trust
National Bird:
Bald Eagle
National Flower:
Rose
National Anthem:
Area (50 states and District of Columbia only):
9,631,418 sq km
*Note:
Area of China: 9,596,960 sq km
Area of HK: 1,092 sq km
Comparative Size:
About one-half the size of Russia; about three-tenths the size of Africa; about one-half the size of South America (or slightly larger than Brazil); slightly larger than China; about two and one-half times the size of Western Europe.
Largest State:
Alaska
Smallest State:
Rhode Island


I also told them how very blessed we are to live in the Country and told how in some countries kids can't go to school or even eat every day, or decided what church they want to go to.

After dinner our little "Teo" held the flag as we said The Pledge Of Allegiance.  Hearing my kids say the Pledge brought tears to my eyes.  Especially hearing my 2 year old twin boys say it. I was amazed they knew parts of it. It must have been listening when I taught  "Sweet girl"  and a few other kids pre-school in our home.  It reminded me that kids listen and watch us more than we think. 


Black Angus beef Burgers

Ingredients :

2 pounds Ground Angus beef
3 Grilled poblano peppers; seeded, and sliced into thirds
6 slices Yellow cheddar cheese
6 hamburger buns
Baby red-oak lettuce
Pickled red onions
salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste



DIRECTIONS:

Prepare a wood or charcoal fire and let it burn down to embers.

In a large mixing bowl season Angus beef with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use. When ready to use, form into 1-inch thick disks. Grill for five minutes on each side for medium-rare. During the last five minutes top with cheddar cheese.

When finished grilling, on one half of the roll place the burger and top with baby red-oak lettuce, poblano peppers, vinaigrette and pickled red onions. Serve immediately.

GO USA!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment